One often overlooked element of Google's success is performance.
Performance for cloud based systems is crucial. You can have the best
design in the world and it will get trumped every time by performance.
Latency is at this moment the most important issue in the experience
of cloud based systems and google knows this.

Ixd as a pure pursuit does not live in a vacuum absent of the
technologies that exist to support good experience. I say this not to
let Google of the hook re the quality of experience they deliver but
to appreciate that they treat performance seriously. I prefer yahoo
mail to gmail from a design pov but I use gmail because it's way
faster.

My guess is that android based phones over time will be about
performance first, not withstanding their first partner T-mobile's
weak 3g network.