This is a great conversation. I hope that we can continue this thread
in a productive and respectful way.

I work in a team that is struggling everyday to get to what Scott is
talking about. Bridging Design, Business and Technology to find the
sweet spot with multidisciplinary teams. We have earned credibility
through what we have made and no other way, the use of the term
design in some ways was an obstacle early on, now most of the people
we work with are converts.

Our team tries to use design to make strategy tangible...
Conceptually "make to think". Before we do that we listen and use
the toolkit of design. We do this iteratively, making  prototypes,
getting feedback, rinse and repeat...

But we are also trying to derive insights that design can affect
(that are actionable and lend them selves to design methods and
practice) that we can actually build and derive revenue from. So we
have to partner in that conversation. Design does not fit in a vacuum
in this way. Many lessons from ID here in that engineering is a key
component of the success as is the business plan. This is not a new
concept...the architect in me remembers Vitruvius' commodity,
firmness and delight.

There is a great career path for the designer to be in the middle of
this conversation and even own it. But it's done by understanding
and working in a multidisciplinary way.

Design Thinking is about bridging the cultures of design, business
and tech. Design Thinking is also about making sure that design is
center to the effort and is empowered in the organization.

Last weekends New York Times has a nice article on it:

http://tinyurl.com/4o5tw7

--greg