Thanks for the post.  This whole Twitter thread has certainly got me
thinking on viewing Twitter as a tool for doing user research among a
particular type of research participants, i.e. ones who are comfortable with
SMS and IM either on the mobile or PC platform.  I doubt if Twitter itself
on its own can provide the kinds of deep data that you'll need.  If that's
the case, how would you use Twitter in conjunction with other types of
qualitative research methods?

Here's another interesting post: a survey of 3,000 US-based users and their
use of online communities. *The study concludes that Twitter serves
niches:*"Although both Twitter and SecondLife have received enormous
amounts of
press coverage, and are used intensely by some people, they are dwarfed in
membership by the major social sites such as Facebook, MySpace, and even
LinkedIn."

http://mobileopportunity.blogspot.com/2008/10/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know.html

cheers,
Lucilla Madamba