I love radial / orbital menus which are related to pie.  Especially when
dealing with deeply nested hierarchies as on windows/web, it's SOOO easy to
accidently mouse off a deeply nested menu, and then have to retraverse it,
to miss it again!

Even back in 2005 I had one on my site (still up). It's actually has more
than one depth, and a sort of zooming. It is a mini research project to see
how well motion could be used to convey relationship. This is because my
previous job was doing neural network visualization and we had saturated
color, position for carrying information.  There is a button off to the left
side to turn visual hierarchy back on.

The other thing I tried to explore is navigation vrs reading. You can click
on the window to bring it front. Everything is draggable.

http://www.troyworks.com/menu.html

Troy.