On Nov 13, 2008, at 10:36 AM, Danny Hope wrote:

I suppose tool tips are an example, can you reference other examples please?

I can't spout off URLs and I don't have the time to look any up, but I've seen sites that provide a preview of the page that an external link goes to in a roll-over pop-up. I've used this technique to reveal buttons in a list like Todd suggested. I've seen it used to provide information about an image thumbnail. There are menus that open on hover. Technical illustrations can show labels for individual parts. I've implemented "a multi-link" in this way, where one link in the content has multiple destinations, so the pop-up is a list of links. The Mac OS used to have "bubble help". It's also a good way of providing access to status information. I've used it to provide an explanation as to why a particular button is disabled. (Okay, there are probably several examples here that could be classified as "tool tips" in a broad sense.) This list could go on...

You could
certainly point out situations where it is inappropriate,

Here are 3:
- where the new layer obscures information or other controls

I wouldn't consider this to be an "inappropriate situation" as I meant it, just something that you should avoid.

- on devices which do not have a hover state, e.g. touchscreens

Agreed.

- where the interface is to be used by someone with visual or motor disabilities

Also agreed.

but I don't see
how you can argue that best practice is to not use this technique.

I've only found one source to back up my position (anyone know any others?):

http://www.nngroup.com/reports/accessibility/ (p57-64)

Which is in regards to situations in which accessibility is an issue. This doesn't mean that the technique should never be used.

I'm not saying that "Displaying new information on rollover" is bad
practice. For example, I think that having the browser display the URL
of links in it's status bar is good.

I am saying that:
- rollovers should not be counted as a declaration

If the user pauses, that can be taken as a "declaration". And sometimes, you intentionally want to "interfere" before the user makes a declaration.

- the system should not obscure content or interface elements that the
user may be trying to see.

Absolutely.

Best,
Jack

Jack L. Moffett
Interaction Designer
inmedius
412.459.0310 x219
http://www.inmedius.com

My goal is to build elegant products.
The products that don't make people think
when they should be doing,
make people think
when they should be learning,
compel them by relating to them,