For what class of users can we assume that? I ask because I'm around a few 60+ people who have trouble with many sites on the web and the feeling they have to re-learn how to "use the bank website" because it changed.

Can you better define the people who are going to be using this? It would seem that if you're working on a product designed for professionals in a business setting, I can see where maybe you can make more assumptions about skill-sets. (But don't make too many, my dentist's receptionist still uses a paper date book with a pencil... :-)

Dye, Sylvania wrote:

In this case, I'd say it doesn't depend. It used to be that we couldn't assume users had
this basic understanding of how to use Web sites, but these days, this sort of
"helpful" text really does nothing but increase visual noise, page complexity,
and cognitive load by adding elements that the user has to ignore to complete their
tasks. Links are for clicking, and users know this.

Beyond that, I tend to treat in-place instruction as a last resort, even when
usability testing shows that users are having problems. The problem with
in-place instruction is that users read it once (maybe), after which it's just
persistent visual noise, muddying up the interface. A better solution is to
make the interface itself communicate it's function so that the instructional
text isn't needed.

Cheers!
Sylvania

User Experience Designer