James, this phenomena is exceedingly common. Termed navigational queries, or
more generally known item finding, it was recently estimated to be > 30% of
searches by researchers at Yahoo.  That data and a lot of context at
http://surfmind.com/muzings/?p=119 . I'm not sure of a term that describes
going out of your way to use search when an easier solution is available.

Next question, why?  Perhaps the value of one consistent method to get to
places you know is the core value.  It also varies by users -- some novice
users may not understand the difference between the url and search bar.  For
more experienced users, perhaps it's the experience halo at Google though
the widespread occurrence suggests it's more about search and the failure of
browsers to adequately support revisitation.