You mean for holiday parties coming up? Here's what I usually say (or
some variation thereof):

"I design attractive, intuitive software for digital products, like
websites, desktop apps, etc."

(note that I distinctly say "I design" in the active voice)

And then I throw in some names like Frog, Adobe, Oracle, where I've
worked. Finally, I just pull out my iPhone. Seriously. Works every
time!

If the other person is genuinely interested and wants to learn more,
then I go on about user experience, humanism, rhetoric, etc. but no
way do I mention that stuff right off the bat! :-) Some liquid
courage often helps too...hehe.

-uday