As to the RC issue from actuial experience with Philips
(yes I am part of the crime)

Indeed the truth is simple there are three factors in play:
1 costs are ruling decisions.
The wheel is 10x more expensive than 2 buttons. And the majority of
the consumers are not willing to pay more in the shop, no matter what
they answer in surveys.
(yes I am aware of all the research and we use it all the time in our
arguments)

2 the issue is not an issue in Europe and quite a few countries
elsewhere in the world where they can re-arrange channels into
presets where typical users make their list of favorite 10 channels
or so and they are all numbered 1 to 10. Hence brands focussed on a
global market will put the channel hopping issue lower on the list of
priorities.

3 time to market prioritization
Unlike what is suggested the teams do talk in our organization ad we
are aligned. Often time to market is an issue. As suggested above
brands must bring out new products at regular intervals. Main
problems and bug fixes are given priority. Picture quality and
reception are the main differentiators on the shop floor so they get
priority. And the changes to SW to get such a rotary behavior are not
trivial.

To re-assure you all it is not that 'we' did not think about it.