Jeff - great stuff!!! Thank you so much. You addressed all the scale-up issues we are worried about -- but as you say, we may not be able to square that circle, especially with the budget we have. But this is great info for us to consider as we move forward. Your hands-on analysis will help us greatly.

Bonnie

P. S., I forgot to mention that these "get-togethers" happen twice a week, so flying isn't an option - we'd always be in the air ;-)

Jeff Howard wrote:
Hi Bonnie,

I've suffered through plenty of group meetings/presentations over video conference and even with an expensive Polycom system (fantastic video quality) it was nearly always a train wreck.

One observation is that you really need to be able to see both the presenter and what's being presented simultaneously for an effective presentation.

Our Polycom system had the ability to pan and zoom the camera and we would go back and forth from the speaker to whatever they were presenting, but it's not enough. You need to be able to see with perfect clarity what's being presented, and zooming in on whatever they're projecting on their side doesn't cut it. You also need to be able to see who's talking. Otherwise it's easy to lose interest. Plus all that panning is incredibly tedious.

I've addressed this in a couple different ways.

When I interviewed for my first job out of grad school I knew it was going to be over video conference since they had a west coast and east coast location. My solution was to make two copies of my presentation on large format 11x17 paper, number the pages, put them in a plastic binder (by Itoya) and Fed-Ex one copy to the west coast office. That way I could take a bit of unfamiliar technology out of the equation, and we could use the videoconference to focus on face-to-face communication. It worked really well.

The downside is that this doesn't scale beyond about half-a-dozen people on each side of the call and it would require an incredible amount of up-front work (and expense) for your students to prepare multiple copies of their presentations far enough in advance to actually Fed-Ex them across the planet in time. We tried this at CMU once for a project with a sponsor on the west coast and cut thing very close (the FedEx arrived literally during the video call). So it's logistically difficult.

The solution I formulated once I began to work with videoconferencing on a daily/weekly basis was a dual-screen system. Using the main conference system for face-to-face communication and then using VNC to create a mirror of the presenter's computer slides so we could see what they were seeing without constantly having to verbally sync (what slide are you on?). Normally we'd crowd around the mirrored laptop, but again, that doesn't scale so you'd have to use a projector.

That introduces another problem. Making the room dark enough to project while making it also light enough for video conferencing is a tricky balance. The needs of the projector usually win out and you end up putting everyone to sleep in the dark. The ideal would be to have a large-format HDTV secondary display at each location to use for the slide presentation. It should be located near the screen being used to videoconference.

Of course, this all only works if you have digital presentations. The only way I can see this really working for design school type crits is to have a videographer (student volunteer?) on each side streaming images of the wall sketches from a secondary video camera to the mirrored presentation screen in real time. You could hook that secondary camera up to the mirrored laptop via firewire. But you'd also need some way to switch between the A and B streams whenever things switch from presenting analog sketches to presenting digital slides. That means you'd need a 2nd student volunteer operating the laptop to handing the directorial duties.

What I've just described is a poor man's version of something called "telepresence" being developed by companies like Cisco, HP and others. They generally set up dedicated telepresence suites. These are probably out of your price range, but you might look to them for inspiration. Here are some systems that stood out when I researched this a few years ago.

- Cisco Telepresence 3000
- HP Halo Collaboration Studio
- Polycom RPX Telepresence Solutions
- Telanetrix Digital Presence Systems
- Teliris VirtuaLive HD Modular Telepresence Solution
- Destiny Telesuite System

Room configuration is really important (which is one of the advantages to the pre-designed suite).

Imagine that your near and far locations are arranged so that each side can see each other through a common window (the TV). If the presenter is near the TV, they're placed in a position of having to turn their back on either the near or far group. This alienates one group or the other, and things quickly devolve into multiple separate groups rather than one big group.

Part of the solution is to always have the main speaker in such a position that they face both the camera/TV and the physically co-located group.

. . .

If you have no budget for tech support you probably don't have a huge technology budget either. And your solution needs to be set up and broken down before and after each class, in less than 10 minutes in a location you don't control. Unless I'm mistaken, you need a free, portable, high quality telepresence solution that can handle multiple groups with dozens of people. I don't think you can square that circle.

Here's what I think you would need to do this really well (although I'm skeptical about whether it's possible to facilitate a 50-person critique, even if they were all in the same room together).

- Dedicated room for presentations (set it up once and forget it)
- Teleconference system with a high quality camera (remote pan/zoom)
- Roving (mutable) microphone for questions
- Dedicated network connection for video conferencing
- Secondary DV cameras for B-coverage
- Dedicated laptops for mirroring (could be student laptops, but tricky)
- Large-format HDTV displays (with DV to HDMI adapter)
- VNC (free!)

It's also going to take lots of practice for the students to become adept at presenting this way. It's easy to forget about the far audience(s) and focus on the physical audience, particularly because the lag makes it difficult for the far audience to get a word in edgewise unless you design in ways to pull them into the conversation. It's a learned skill, just like presenting in front of a physical crowd.

You might do the math and find it's easier just to fly everyone to Portugal. :-)

// jeff