A usability testing firm, User Centeric, did report the issues surrounding
touch screen keyboards,
specifically regarding the iPhone.  Their empirical study results were
reported
at a New Jersey Usabilty Professional Association presentation last year.
Here's a link to their website discussing their results comparing hardkey
vs. iPhone's softkey
error rates.

http://www.usercentric.com/about/news_item.php?m_id=4&s_id=4&q_id=4&id=15&year=2007

I have been using a Blackberry Storm for a few weeks now.
I would agree with previous remarks about the touch screen keyboard
performance as well as
the errors.

Some delays in response time from the touch screen keys and buttons can be
annoying.
There is a learning curve and you are forced to type slower (when doing a
speed/accuracy tradeoff).
I had a hard time figuring out how to "hide" the keyboard because there was
no
explicit button that I could easily locate using the touch screen
until I discovered by accident a gesture that would "hide" the keyboard.
It may be documented somewhere but I'll have to admit that I tend not to
read the documentation unless it is absolutely necessary.

I did find out about another touch screen smart phone by Samsung Omnia that
improved upon
the other designs by having an explicit hide button for the keyboard was
well.
The keyboard "buzzes" after each key press as a feedback mechanism.

I have no association with sales, servicing, development or evaluation of
these products.

Yours,
John

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Tami <tami...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the Storm and to be honest, I had buyer's remorse for the
> first week or two. I've had it for a little over a month now and
> love it. There is a definite learning curve to using the keyboard and
> touchscreen.
>
> I like the feel of pushing the screen like a button however, I've
> found that I cannot type with one hand. I need to turn it sideways to
> get the full keyboard and use two thumbs to hit the keys just right.
> The keys, by the way, light up before you push on them so that helps
> with the visual feedback so I catch myself starting to hit the wrong
> key before I push down.
>
> I design phone web apps from time to time and had the chance to work
> with the iPhone and the new Google phone. All three touchscreens are
> great phones, but Google has some kinks to work out (although I love
> the fact the keyboard slides out). Blackberry just needs to start
> enabling JavaScript as a standard and that would make my life so much
> easier.
>
> I hope that helps!
> Tami

> Posted from the new ixda.org