(No research here, just my personal experience/opinion....)

I worked my way through college for my first undergrad degree (BA Journalism/CS, took me 7 years) and tried to work while going to school for my second degree (BFA ID). I finally gave in and took unpaid leave to get a Master's, and I'm very glad I went this route. I'm getting so much more out of classes now that I can focus %100 of my time and energy on learning/trying/doing instead of having work interruptions and continual context shifts.

Also, I've taken classes with people in the MFA Interaction Design program at CMU, and I think part of the value is that you focus on nothing but school and research for two years. I know that some of the students keep part-time jobs, but I honestly believe they're missing out on some important experiences in the studio when they're not doing assignments.

IMHO, if you have the choice of not working and living on loans and getting the degree in 2 years, do it. Having the mental freedom to think wide and deep is worth it in the long run.

Phil Chung wrote:
Interesting, I didn't know online HCI grad programs even existed.

On a related note, I do wish that a premier design school (e.g. RISD, Art Center, SVA, New School,
CMU) would step up and address the need for online / part-time IxD "executive MFA"
program for practitioners, along the executive MBA model with a mix of online learning and on
campus sessions. Forgive me if I've overlooked an existing program, but it seems (just based on
this discussion list) that there is a significant demand for this option, particularly with the
current economic pressures. Employed designers could leverage company sponsorship to work towards
their "executive MFA" using online materials with infrequent on campus (2-3 all weekend
sessions per semester) crits / intensive workshops to address the need for face-to-face
interaction. It seems like the field has matured to a point where programs like this should exist,
does it not?