Hi David,

A few months ago, when the IxDA meetup happened at the UW, I was impressed
that students from the Technical Communications/UX path, students in the
Industrial Design curriculum, and Computer Science students were all
present. And they were working together on projects. They made it sound like
they were doing this in stealth mode. So it may be a possibility for you to
stay in the CS path but mix it up a little with design classes and design
projects along with students in other majors.

When I took graduate courses in the UW's Technical Communications UX
program, they seemed oriented towards HCI and UX principles, usability
testing, and research. This was a helpful program for me - I'd already been
working as a designer for some years - but it wasn't a studio-based program
where you designed lots of stuff. Perhaps this has changed in the last
couple of years. I got the impression that Industrial Design students at the
UW spent more time designing things, including interactive media. So perhaps
mixing things up between the CS, ID, and UX programs might work. I think the
UW might actually be able to create a solid studio-based Interaction Design
program by rearranging/regrouping existing courses should they wish to.
Perhaps a sympathetic professor or advisor can help you along a dual-major
path or similar self-designed curriculum? And perhaps current UW ID or UX
students can chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong, thanks.

Hope this is helpful,

Michael Micheletti

--
Michael Micheletti