Hi Adrian

> "Easy to use" in what context?

> What behaviours are you trying to make the interface best support?  Are
> there other UI options that might support different behaviours well?

Thx for these questions.
I think you just put me in the right direction.

Probably the most common use cases are, that you want to backup a few
root folders. But you usually want to restore only a few files in the
restore proces, often deep within a hierarchy.

btw:
I looked at some other backup software, and saw, that actually both
scenarios I thought of might work pretty well: What I considerered
inferior, doesn't really need to be inferior (a good tree view, can be
work very well, if selceted subitems are indicated well). And the
inconsistency I thought might be a problem, didn't feel like a
problem.

Thx
  Roland