>So what to do?
A little bit of javascript magic. Use javascript to test if the user has a
pdf reader, if not show them the link to download it.

The issue seams to be people don't know what "Acrobat" is and then combine
the web stats I gave before, with Caroline findings, and it looks scary.

There where 9,199 visitors, and only 2,572 had "Acrobat". I sure if the
target audience was academic then the numbers for "Acrobat" would allot
higher.

The question is with such low penetration of "Acrobat" maybe it is better to
use a service like scribd.

@caroline
Would it would be interesting to test the users with machines
without "Acrobat" installed on the lab machine, and see what the users
reaction are?

James
http://blog.feralabs.com