I wanted to solicit people's advice/examples on a small but interesting
interaction we're working on. Here's the scenario:

User launches a dialog that has a list of people who they need to handwrite
checks to (it's a payroll application; don't worry about why they are
handwriting and not printing checks). The dialog has a table of the people
and the amounts. For each line in the table, the user can do up to two
things:

- Add/Edit a check number for that person's check
- Print a paystub for that check

They can do any or all of these things, it is up to them. To support this,
we have two buttons on the dialog -- Save and Cancel -- however if someone
selects to Print a stub, the Save button changes to "Save and Print"'.

Here's what it looks like in ASCII (the actual is obviously not in ASCII):
In the example below: [] = checkbox field ____________ = text field

Print Stub  Name         Amount    Check number
   [  ]     John Doe     $500      ______________
   [  ]     Mary Smith   $200      ______________
   [  ]     Billy Bob    $300      ______________

 [Save]   [Cancel]

As soon as someone selects to print a stub (by checking of a box in that
column) the Save button changes to be Save and Print.

Questions:
- What do people think about this interaction?
- Another option would be to have three buttons to start - Save, Save and
Print, Cancel and just disable Save and Print till you've checked something.
I think that is just more cluttered and annoying. What do other people
think?
- Do you have examples of other UIs where the button name changes based on
your selection?

Julie

Julie Stanford
Principal, Sliced Bread Design