Janna,

The core techniques of information architecture, and those of interaction
design, can be articulated in a manner which I think is fairly
uncontentious. We also have several visual representations - and
descriptions - of the areas in which IA overlaps with IxD; where IxD
overlaps with Industrial Design; where IA overlaps with Architecture
(wayfinding in physical spaces, for example); and the application of all
these disciplines to larger scale issues - the total experience of an
airport, for example.

And there is a great deal of overlap in the underlying techniques used by
each of these disciplines: in research, analysis, evaluation. We are able to
share a lot of knowledge and understanding around these fundamentals.

I'd also think we can focus on problem solving and the solutions to those
problems and look at the role played by the various core techniques - and
discuss the ways in which both the approach to problem-solving and the
solution may have been improved or influenced by the application of those
techniques.

Regards
Steve

2009/4/1 Janna Hicks DeVylder <ja...@devylder.com>

> I'd like to start seeing some ideas about how we can move forward, for
> those
> whose interests lie in both camps organizationally as well as those whose
> work lives straddle/sit/are the two.
>
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Jorge Arango <jara...@jarango.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 7:41 AM, dave malouf <dave....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I don't care about IAs. I really
> > > don't. Your work is almost superfluous to me in my world.
> >
> > Nothing more need be said.
> >
> > Now, perhaps those of us who /do/ care about constructive dialog
> > between these fields can move along without paying heed to your
> > thoughts on the matter.
> >
> > ~ Jorge

Steve 'Doc' Baty | Principal | Meld Consulting | P: +61 417 061 292 | E:
steveb...@meld.com.au | Twitter: docbaty | LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/stevebaty

Blog: http://meld.com.au/blog
Contributor: Johnny Holland - johnnyholland.org
Contributor: UXMatters - www.uxmatters.com
UX Australia: 25-27 August, http://uxaustralia.com.au
UX Book Club: http://uxbookclub.org/ - Read, discuss, connect.