If you're collecting data like real name as well, you can have a user
fill in some percentage of that account information on a username
retrieval form, and also answer a security question or two. It's not
ideal, but it's probably better than nothing.

If you're *not* collecting that data, you can't do much about
helping somebody who forgets what email address they used to sign up.
But there is one thing that can help at least some: When I attempt to
log in to a site, sometimes I'm met with a "your username or
password is invalid" message. I suppose this has some
security-by-obfuscation value, but at the cost of punishing an
infrequent user who has forgotten his or her username.

I'd urge you that, for those who've signed up using their email
address as their username, give them some indication whether or not
they're at least trying the right username.