There are also two flavors of Deletion: true delete and "move to trash" (from which the user can retrieve it later). A third flavor as well, for some products: Hide. Remove from library (other other view) but don't do anything with the file on disk. (And I think Adobe Bride has a "flag" variant which may collapse into the Hide version.)

Any action which is not recoverable should have an "are you sure" option, even if the user is allowed to then say "yes, I'm sure forever, never ask me again" Actions which are recoverable but through curious means -- dig the file out of the trash, or find the original file on disk and add it back to the view -- deserve some user education at delete time. Actions which have standard recovery method (Undo), those are probably fine with no interruption (although even then, does the user realize that he can Undo?).

-- Jim