Jamie's point is important, each branch has a different rank
structure (I'm presuming we're talking US military).

You can find this sort of info online - Wikipedia for example... for
the US Marines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps#Rank_structure

You could either have users select the branch first, then filter the
rank list accordingly - or you could have onerank list with all
possible choices - or just a text input. If you need to do some
sorting or other computation on that field it may be important to you
to keep the data clean, so selecting from a list would be better than
a text input. But if that's not a concern a text input is fine.