I think you need to answer the question, "What is the actual cost to
the business of slowing down the process of finding data?"

Multiply the additional time it takes to use a view-only interface by
the dollar cost per minute to the company of a rep's time, and you'll
have a concrete reason to create a more usable interface.

Unfortunately, the only way to get a measure of the difference in time
needed between the two approaches is to conduct usability tests, which
may not be part of the development budget (perhaps?).

Hope that helps.

-Anne

Anne Hjortshoj | anne...@gmail.com | www.annehj.com | Skype: anne-hj