Alan Wexelblat wrote:
 (How much longer is difficult to
quantify just from the paper prototypes, but my guess is that it's a
few seconds more on each operation.)

You could do more than guess - use predictive human performance modeling.

That is, you could use your paper prototypes to do Keystroke-Level Models to get pretty accurate predictions of performance time on the two different designs. You can use CogTool (free, from CMU (ful disclosure, my group developed this tool)), import your paper prototype images, add a few interactive widgets to simulate the interactivity, demonstrate a few tasks, and hit the "compute" button. Valid time predictions pop out the other end.

Here's the link to CogTool: http://cogtool.hcii.cs.cmu.edu/

Here's a link to a UI designer's blog explaining how CogTool helps in just such situations: http://www.perfecttuna.com/2008/07/predict-expert-task-time-with-cogtool.html

Bonnie