On 27 Aug 2009, at 11:08, dave malouf wrote:

I think @jmspool nailed it. the issue isn't whether or not UCD is
needed. the issue is whether or not the product has room for
improvement and that those improvements speak to the core
stakeholders involved.
[snip]

Those problems have also got to be the most important problem that the company is facing too.

For example, I did a bunch of competitive analysis style usability tests for $company a few years back. While it highlighted some fairly severe problems - the competitor sites were *so* much worse it was silly (e.g. only 5 in 25 could successfully register on one of the sites.)

$company chose to allocate the resources they were going to spend improving the user experience for end-users on adding features for another user group. That was absolutely the best decision for them to make (even if it did mean I'd researched myself out of a nice little contract :-)

As others have said I think you need to try and get somewhere where you can help management make informed decisions about how UCD will affect them. Only then will you get the chance to actually convince them to do some.

Cheers,

Adrian
--
http://quietstars.com  -  twitter.com/adrianh  -  delicious.com/adrianh