I believe your designers have the right conclusion, but the wrong reason.

Bread crumbs are typically displayed as minor reference items, and should be complete. The page title is typically more central.

So we might have a page that looks like this

Repairs | Plumbing | Toilets | Adjusting the toilet water level

        Adjusting the toilet water level

Having just part of the bread crumb line would be confusing, violates an implicit standard, and really doesn't cut down on any clutter. The bread crumb line as it stands show the user exactly how he or she got here -- not how they got almost here.

My 2c, for what it's worth.

(Of course the real test is user testing ... but I'd wager users really would be disturbed to find partial bread crumbs.)

    How do users experience your Progress® application?
    Are they productive?  Does it matter?  Do you care?