The real short version of UCD is:

Where users are asked to help you make design decisions.

"Don't agree. There are plenty of instances where Usability
Testing, as an example method, has provided clear findings and solid
recommendations towards improving the design or in some cases
completely realigning strategy or UI frameworks."

You are assuming your conclusion.

Recommendations does not mean transcendence that is exactly my point.
Transcendence is when the quality of the recommendations transcend
into the quality of the actual end product.

Usability tests are tests of the usability of whatever phases the
design exist in, if it's wireframes you will test wireframes, if
it's screens you will test screens. The problems being tested in
these phases are inherrent in the phases themselves.

If users don't see you button in the wireframe does not mean that
he/she don't see it in the design.

There is no process that ensures that whatever findings you have in
your UCD process will transcend into the pixels and the programming,
i.e. there is no transcendence.

That you can get valuable finding through UCD is obvious and besides
the point. They are still to my mind most of the times not worth it
(there are a few situations where it makes sense, I have already
listed those in another thread)

"Agree but still think you need to involve users along the way."

Only if the problem you are dealing with are new and within the old
paradigm.

"Does it have to be a pure UCD process, maybe not, but again this is
where the right balance of focusing on user needs, knowing what
research they are based on, following best practice, listening to the
business, using design patterns (to name a few) and involving users at
the right stages is is helpful."

At the right stage yes, but that is where the disagreement lies.

My claim is that you use users to figure out what tasks they are
trying to accomplish and what problems they have with trying to solve
them (qualitative user research) and then you test the actual usage
statistically afterwards. No usability test, no focus groups, I would
even be so bold to claim no personas. I personally don't need them
and don't see their value they are false safety and false impression
of quality.

"- Dont think it should and what do you base this on? "

On experience.

90% of the cases that UCD is normally used for you could just have
gone with the accumulated knowledge that the UX in question already
had. Do you really need to test if your navigation makes sense for
the umpt time even though it's a bar in the top and a left menu
navigation on the left? I say no, I say if you want to call yourself
an expert that should be the type of expert that make sure that the
end product is of good quality, not just the process of gathering
user input.

Where UCD really goes wrong is when it starts to think that every
problem is unique and that you need users to find those little
differences and that this should somehow inform your product or
service down in the UI.

That is in my opinion and experience simply just death wrong. A
sign-up process shouldn't be unique, the communication to getting
you sign-up should on the other hand.

"Do we know this about Apple? Do we know that Apple didnt apply some
part of UCD in their process? "

Yes we do.

"I dont see this a whole or nothing approach with process -
following UCD or not following UCD, its a mix of the right approaches
that make all the difference - time, budget, culture,
usability/UX/design maturity also play a role."

Again I am not against user input, I am against using users to make
design decisions with. That is what UCD is all about and that is
where it is missing the point.

"- Perhaps but we have also seen many cases where the user
articulates what they want clearly, it confirms what we thought and
it helps the business communicate the voice of the customer to help
make their case to management."

The only thing that it do is save asses. Cause even when the product
or service launches and fails, every one can claim that they asked
the users what they wanted.

You can't build a business on what users want. They want all sorts
of things and they just want more of the same. You would soon end up
with a spaceship that no one knows how to fly.

What you need to do is to give them what is necessary. And that is
your job as the expert to figure out what that is. If you look at the
problems they have instead of what they want, then we are on to
something.

"Some do and are becoming savvy enough to know. Part of our job is
to know what suggestions to use and not use for our user base. This
includes looking for patterns in data and finding insights that make
a difference."

This have no value is the transcendence is not happening into the
actual finished product and that is what I am saying.

UCD process lack fundamental transcendence into the actual design of
the product. My guess is that is because it is primarily an academic
discipline.