If multi-touch is of interest to you then the iPad is a dream come
true. As a designer having access to an affordable and capable
computing device with a 10" multitouch screen is a dream come true!

That aside I think that eBooks and everything else promoted is great
but I think Robert Fabricant nailed it in his article about the
tablet is really well suited for casual gaming:
http://designmind.frogdesign.com/blog/why-the-apple-tablet-is-a-real-039games039-changer.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:
frog-design-blog (All Blogs)

That aside as far as background applications.. I haven't needed them
on the iPhone yet and I'd rather not find out I've installed some
useless apps I hardly ever touch that are eating away the precious
battery life of my portable device. I believe this is one of the main
reasons the iPhone/touch and the iPad won't do this.

As far as where this device fits in to people's lives and workflows
- I think Apple is counting on it's developer base to figure that
out for them. So much fun we can have developing for this thing. Ah
man it's a great time to be a designer :)