I think one issue is that it is not widescreen. If it about consuming media
shouldn't the device be wide screen for movies.

Is it a good user experiance watching a movie on a narrow screen?

Also I can not just plug in devices into the USB.

And there is the issue of DRM. Especially with apple controlling application
release which can take weeks. You can not role out a bug fix, or a improved
feature. Everybody is talking about continuous improvements as the way
forward. Apple place large block on this by thier approval basis.

James
http://blog.feralabs.com