On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 5:54 AM, gail swanson
<gail_swan...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Has anyone worked in a UML environment? How did you integrate your
> practice into RUP or similar methodologies?

Hi Gail.

I'm a big fan of the UML (except I hate saying The UML :-)

In my past life I had to do double duty creating UX documentation and
System Requirements. Since the client of my documentation were
developers and test using UML made my documentation easier for them to
consume.

IBM around 2003 were pushing a technique called User Engineering that used
a technique called  OVID (Object View and Interaction Design). It was
all very interesting but it was also a lot of extra overhead.
http://www.amazon.com/Designing-User-OVID-Dave-Robert/dp/1578701015

I think that understanding Use Case, Activity, Sequence (maybe) and
Basic Class modeling is all you would need.

A List Apart had some good articles on Use Case Modeling

What’s the Problem?: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/whatstheproblem/

Use Cases Part II: Taming Scope: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/tamingscope/

If you wanted to by a book all you need is the Fowler's UML Distilled:
http://www.amazon.com/UML-Distilled-Standard-Modeling-Language/dp/0321193687/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266302123&sr=8-1

There are some samples below of what I have used the UML for. I hope
this helps.

Bryce Johnson
Tw: @brycej | http://powerpivotor.com

USE CASE MODEL
http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pI1BCZEGrLPre5D8qp1lOhrdJAf_4LvY4IZUgqzaIkGyYIlAxxArvryYsMFudSoPImoL5w74Z86l-PUU6m27G-Q/UseCase.png

DOMAIN MODEL
http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pwxDljU33rX0SbeEn1XiFkP5ZAfFZaIY3k_z5Cr-ZbEYP4O_MXO3OPcCq705A51XtRasimxuPbQMhIW6IZ9sufQ/DomainModel.png

USER MODEL IN UML - this was not very successful, kinda a waste of time.
http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pyq2tWEjLxZdnyFxbvp8thV20UGuiWVwZWsmk33eBOpjqDEZ_rhJdXSfk3p2tkzQw0SA4DOD-O3K0z1PQv-B0XA/mehUserModel.png

SDLC with UX inserted.
http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pyF-ppFZuXsedrk_ntXIXqQqT0BZKkA7fNjD0jMU6RoorCCM1sxSpokqwzqKga9-EYaqEJ9Yu4w3-dlisFbQ2Lw/SDLC-with-UX.png

Visio XML file of the above images.