Sketching is the best and cost effective way to play with your ideas
in the initial stage and do the required change before moving to low
or high fidelity prototype. This sketching process could be
participatory which involves clients and all interesting parties. So
a fruitful discussion in this stage with all involved help us to
share their ideas as well as getting a bigger picture of the project
and involve them in design process. This way we could avoid costly
changes in the later stages once we submit wireframes or prototypes
to clients or in the development stage.

And Wireframes could be a mere translation of sketching since we will
have a better idea about the product by then and save time in the
thinking process in wireframing stage.

Also depends on the clients we could decide the Wireframes should be
high fidelity or low fidelity. If the client will able to understand
low fidelity Wireframes, we could work on that way or if they are not
that good in low fidelity we could think of high fidelity interactive
Wireframes using Axure, InDesign or similar tools after the sketching
process/

We are following this process in our projects and depends on clients
we do decide the process.

Cheers