Hello:

I took an action item from the TSC to kick off a thread about potentially
changing our release process for the Carbon release and what that might
look like.

We have had discussions for some time on shortening our release cadence
from 6-8 months to something much shorter such as 2 months (Fast).  This
discussion often goes in conjunction with the idea of decoupling the
different sets of projects that make up Offset-0, Offset-1, and Offset-2
projects, so that each of those is released separately in a staged manner
(Phased).  We have also talked about various methods of building
OpenDaylight so that we do not have to have strict enforcement of specific
versions of each project being identified for a given simultaneous release
(semantic-versioning).

Changing to one or more of the above release characteristics for the Carbon
release is the question at hand.  An immediate set of follow-up questions
then are:
 - What projects would need to change first, and what would they need to do?
- Is there a "pilot" effort we can run to try things out, and if so,
who/what are the logical people/projects to run such a pilot?
- Once the initial work/pilot(s) are complete, what do all other projects
have to do to make this transition work?
- Can we get to a decision as a group our plan for this transition by the
time we start the Carbon release, or is this something we need to
plan/execute over a couple of release cycles before the transition is
complete?

Please chime in with your thoughts and any corrections to the comments
above.  As we know from past experience it is much better to talk and
decide what we're going to do in the next release cycle WELL IN ADVANCE of
the completion of the current cycle.  So if you have thoughts/comments on
these potential changes, make them now.  If we can't get to transition plan
on these potential changes soon, then we'll need to put a "traditional"
release plan for Carbon in place as a fall back.

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Phil Robb