Landon Blake wrote:
The Java collaboration has reared its ugly head again…

Some programmers from GeoTools, OpenJUMP, degree, and Open Plans are talking about the possibility (probably remote) of a shared library for SRS or CRS definitions and transformations. The idea wouldn’t be to scrap existing libraries found in GeoTools and deegree, or in other projects, but to come up with a plan for eventually merging parts of these libraries into a single low-level library that could be shared among all.

I’m going to make a modest effort to keep everyone talking and to move this forward. I posted a link on the Java GIS Collaboration page of the OSGeo wiki to this page for discussion of the library:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Shared_CRS_and_CRS_Transformation_Library

I thought I would post here so no Java GIS programmers are left out of the discussion if they want to participate.

Landon,

I'm sure there will be some challenges in this effort. :-)

I would also like to bring to your attention the MetaCRS project, an
effort to confederate some other existing coordinate system related projects
(particularly Proj4JS, CS-MAP and PROJ.4) and to work towards some shared
test data and coordinate system dictionaries.

  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MetaCRS

I would love to see a few Java folks join the mailing list.  If nothing
else, I would love to see some cooperation on shared test datasets, and
coordinate system dictionaries with the Java world.  If the Java folks
don't feel that a shared CRS component belong properly in GeoTools, or
one of the other cooperating projects, then it could also in theory
be handled as part of MetaCRS, though I'm not pushing this idea too hard.

Best regards,