On 20.05.2010, at 22:10, miblon wrote:

> If mapserver is to slow, almost everything else is to slow... I also noticed
> your crosspost on the mapproxy list. mapproxy will even cache to more then
> the 60TB youve estimated, because it will cache every wms request instead of
> square, stitched tiles.

I don't understand that. MapProxy does cache square tiles and if 60TB are a
valid estimate for TileCache and GeoWebCache, than this should also apply to
MapProxy.

But, you don't want to cache everything in advance, that would be a waste of
resources. Caching the lower resolutions, the common parts where more users
will access the same images would take of the load of the WMS server.

Karsten mentioned OpenLayers, so i guess tiled services like TMS are an option.
MapProxy, TileCache and GeoWebCache should all be able to handle that without
caching in advance. MapProxy comes with full HTTP cache control, you can limit
the resolution till images should be cached (other requests will be passed to
the WMS) and if some clients require full WMS you can use MapProxy's WMS and
benefit from the cached tiles. All points that are quite useful in this
scenario.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Tonnhofer <o...@omniscale.de>
Omniscale - Dominik Helle, Oliver Tonnhofer GbR