On 09/15/2010 08:23 PM, strk wrote:
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 06:38:22PM +0900, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:

g) Was not particularly amused by keynote speaker putting out
    his cap and a great guy running to the stage to put coins.

Now _this_ is something I'd have loved to be there to see.
@guy : how much did you raise ?

--strk;

   ()   Free GIS&  Flash consultant/developer

€ 6.50 which is quite a lot more than the common 2 Ct so I's say it was a success.

Sorry if I offended anybody with this "performance". I acted on the spur of the moment inspired by the performers on Rambla who only move if somebody puts money in their hat. It was supposed to be a funny way of showing how money makes the world go round and not intended to humiliate anyone or depreciate volunteers' work.

At the Board of Director meeting we had a more serious dialog about this topic. We hope to identify "products" that OSGeo might "sell" to sponsors in order to get funding. Or extend our sponsorship program with a paid membership for institutions who cannot sponsor. All of this must not interfere with the business of OSGeo members and their companies and neither will OSGeo allow paying members to meddle with the mission. This reduces the potential number of "products" to "sell" considerably. Constructive ideas are welcome. Or better even, more sponsors.

Have fun,
Arnulf

--
Exploring Space, Time and Mind