Many thanks Gavin.

We have the required licenses, so that will be OK.

>From memory, ESRI's support is a few versions of Postgres and PostGIS behind
>the current releases.

Have you had any luck with using versions of Postgres and PostGIS higher than
ESRI claim to support.

We're running ArcGIS 10.1 and the new Postgres / PostGIS environment that we're
looking at is 9.3.4 with PostGIS 2.1.3.

We'll be running our own tests, but it would useful to have an idea of
potential issues.

If anyone would like me to move this thread off Discuss, please let me know.
However I suspect that it may be of interest to a number of sites.

Bruce

From: discuss-boun...@lists.osgeo.org [discuss-boun...@lists.osgeo.org] On
Behalf Of Gavin Fleming [gavinjflem...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 11 July 2014 5:29 PM
To: discuss@lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Using ArcGIS Desktop with PostGIS
[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi Bruce

I've done fairly  extensive research as this is a very common situation. The
landscape is quite fluid though.

There are a few third party extensions out there but I haven't had much luck
with them in a read-write production environment.

Native read support of PostGIS from ArcGIS desktop has been available for a few
versions now. The clincher is write support. For that you need to pay up and as
a minimum get ArcGIS Editor (now called Standard). ArcGIS ArcView (now called
Basic) won't get you write access. And you can't get around it with WFS-T
either.

So in a nutshell, to write to native PostGIS via a database connection or WFS-T
you need either ArcGIS Standard ('Editor') or Enterprise ('ArcInfo') or ArcGIS
Server (set up to use native PostGIS geometry).

Gavin