Hi Christian,

I will also connect you  to Prof. Michael P. Peterson  (University of Nebraska
at Omaha, USA) so you can get more inputs and ideas . Michael is a
distinguished academic . He is currently Chief Editor of one of the  GIS
journals  . He also served as chair of the ICA’s publications committee from
2011-2015 and he helped start many of the journals of ICA.

Michael  emailed me few weeks back alerting me to lot of low quality and
dubious submissions that his journal (it is not an ICA journal)  is receiving .
They all were coming from  a particular country and asked for my advice .
Though he did not provide me details, I trust his experience and wisdom .  I
respect his conscience and courage to look into the problem (rather than
ignoring it like many) . I think this is a problem that many Chief editors of
journals today are facing.

Even if the Chief Editors can’t share individual paper details , my suggestion
is that they all need to share summary data and statistics to help us
understand the scale of the problem. Only Chief Editors of journals can do this
as only they will have full picture. Individual reviewers may be aware of the
problem but they  do not have full picture. We also need all the Scientific
Associations to take strong stand on this and put in a unified action plan.

In my humble opinion, Scientific Associations/Organisations are the guardians
of Science. Hence my plea to all of them to please ensure they all take steps
to protect the integrity of Science.  They can only do this if they themselves
put in strong structures for openness and transparency in decision making at
all levels.

I am hoping all Scientific Associations will  join forces to find solution to
this as it is global problem.  As I clearly told this is not an ICA problem or
any vendor problem or one organisation problem. It is a global problem and
everyone (Scientific organisations, academics, vendors, publishers,
governments) need to join forces to help find solution . I am hoping  all
Scientific Organisations will work on an action plan to help on this.

Best wishes,

Suchith