Another solution is to use Gmail for your mailing lists.  It has a
unique interface that closely resembles the flat-threaded forum style
that seems most popular (I prefer branching threads personally).  Its
also much faster than most web applications owing to its use of
javascript moderated xml transactions (no page reloads).  If you need
an invite, I have 50 to spare.