On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:34:03 +0100, Steinar Bjaerum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I am thinking about playing an uncompressed WAV, recording the signal at the
> digital output and comparing the recording with the original WAV.

Be careful when you are doing so - a lot of sound cards will resample
digital input.
AC97 cards do, for example (or so I've been told)

I believe M-Audio Audiophile 2496 does not, I don't know about their
other models.
Again, that is what I've been told. I have not done any testing
myself, mp3 at 192VBR is good enough for me (though I do archive
lossless in flac).

--
http://mpeters.us/