Hi,
I use an audio synthesis dax decade with my squeezebox. I must first point
out that I'm extremely happy with the replay however a few weeks ago I
invited some friends round to have a listen to the squeezebox and compare it
to a couple of dedicated transports. The other transports were from dpa and
Arcam both of which were judged (subjectively) to be better than the
squeezebox by all present. Not a very scientific test I know but I agreed
with the consensus and to my ears it wasn't a small margin.
Now in the ultimate scheme of things a squeezebox / dac combo will blow a
lot cd players away even some seriously expensive ones however I believe
that it's jitter performance - especially with flac's is less than great.
I say this because my dac (the aforementioned dax decade) has 2 methods of
locking onto the digital signal - one which can lock onto low quality / high
jitter signals and one that will lock onto better quality / low jitter
signals. This is denoted by the display of lock or xlock in the dac's
display.
Without fail if I play flacs I only get a lock however if I play mp3's
either native or transcoded from flacs I get the higher quality xlock.
What's going on, I'm not sure but it seems to me that there is more
performance within the squeezebox than is currently accessible.
I'm currently looking into the possibility of improving the clock within the
squeezebox which may help things.
Of course for 200 quid it's a fantastic bit of kit but I don't think it's
going to replace a true high end transport just yet. For me however the
convenience of having my entire music library on hand far outweigh what at
the end of the day is a 30%ish difference in quality.
Cheers

Julian.