Jason wrote:
The overwhelming majority of users do not seem to have the problems you have
with the server crashing or grinding to a halt.

It sounds like it might be worth your time to try Slimserver on another
machine.

Perhaps I did overstate the unreliability of the 5.4 code. What I said certainly *does* apply in spades to all of the 6.x versions I've tried recently. None of them were at *all* usable.

5.4.0 does usually stay up for a day or two, and as long as I don't try to add stuff to the database it usually works modulo occasional, long and unexpected pauses in responding to even trivial commands from the remote control or the web interface, and unexplained and sometimes long interruptions while playing back FLAC files over a 100 Mb/s wired connection. Renicing the tasks up a few points usually gets rid of the pauses, but only at the expense of impairing other interactive processes on the same machine whenever slimserver does crunchy things like rescanning the music database.

Speaking of which, when I add something to the database, or merely change a FLAC tag, I don't even bother with the "rescan" button as I know it probably won't work correctly. I just blow away the database and rebuild it from scratch.

This is an otherwise solidly reliable 4U rackmount 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 running Linux 2.6.11, with 2 GB of ECC memory and 2.3 TB of EIDE and SATA disk storage organized into RAID-1 and RAID-5 arrays. With that much memory, I don't bother with a swap partition, so VM thrashing is not a problem. The Antec box is loaded with big cooling fans, and internal temperatures are well controlled.