Gentoo user here; I'm having the same problems as everyone else.

What I've noted is this: my controller almost never loses the
connection, it just can't find the SB receiver to interface with
(because it's using an incorrect IP). When the SBR does this, it gets
the typical blue light on the front, does not respond to pings, etc.

It typically goes into this fit if a Squeezecenter it was connected to
(even while asleep) has been restarted or shut down.

I'm so freaking tired of this and can't believe I paid $400 for a
network music system that can't even hold a DHCP address. The fact that
there's a 26 page thread on this should mean it is a top priority for
the developers, but evidently it's not? None the less I'm going to
peruse the source myself and see if I can find any obvious oversights
that would be causing the SBR to ignore it's DHCP lease and
autoconfigure itself an incorrect IP.

A very frustrated new SB user.
-----Nate

--