I love my squeezebox, but slimserver is simply driving me made. The
first version I downloaded hardly worked at all, and although new
releases have fixed some of the problems, they always introduce new
ones.

I currently have 6.1.1, and I upgraded from the previous version, as I
couldn't fast forward or rewind (If I did, it would just begin skipping
and jittering endlessly, even if I changed songs. The only way to fix it
was to restart my computer). There were plenty of other problems such as
slow response time for browsing etc, although this was imporved from the
previous version.

Now, how can one live without fastforward or rewind? When friends were
around, they would fall in love with the device and decide on the spot
to buy one, but changed their minds when they saw all the software
flaws (I tried to add a new track I just ripped, and it simply wouldn't
see it).

Now with 6.1.1 the fastforward/rewind is better, at least in the fact
that I don't have to restart my computer to stop the jittering. It's
still a problem as it doesn't actually fast forward through the song,
it just jitters when I press the button and then continues playing
after, but no further in the song.

Great.

But now my big peave is that the display simply won't see most of the
track names. This is driving me mad. All my mp3's have names and the
artist. In Slim server I have it set to display "Title (Artist)". This
worked in the previous version, but now about 80% of the tracks only
show the artist. It makes it impossible to bowse or search, and of
cause, on "show playing" it usually just has the artist name in
brackets with no song title before that. This has not only annoyed me
to endless lengths, but it has discouraged another two friends from
buying this device.

Has anyone seen this problem? Or is it just me.

Another problem with this new release is that it is so much slower than
the other. Yesterday a friend asked to hear a particular song from
Placebo. Great, normally this should be a 10second operation to begin
the song, but it took 10minutes for first the "browse artists" to list
the artists and a further 5minutes to scroll to the band in question,
then of cause with no song titles and three CD's to go through testing
each song, we just gave up and put the damn CD in.

I have a win XP PC, not the fastest at 1gig Anthlon, and 1gig RAM, but
hey, it works perfectly with hardcore photo editing software and
massive audio software, just not slimserver.

--
Justme