JonWill;345094 Wrote:
> Sorry - I can't find the hardware section - I have searched the forum,
> and can't find a definitive answere on UPnP (and I have trawled through
> a few threads).
>
> Sorry if I'm being blind ...

No worries, it is the 3rd party Hardware subforum

http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

In general, in order to play your local music, you have the following
types of configurations on your home network:

1) Squeezebox/Duet/Transporter/Boom + 1 PC running Squeezecenter and
holding all of the music OR
2) Squeezebox/Duet/Transporter/Boom + 1 PC running Squeezecenter + 1
network drive/NAS holding all of your music OR
3) Squeezebox/Duet/Transporter/Boom + Server/NAS running Squeezecenter
and holding all of your music (not fundamentally different from 1, the
difference being, that your music and squeezecenter reside on a network
server/NAS rather than your own pc).

Hope this gives you a couple of pointers. As far as UPNP is concerned -
it does not really apply, inasmuch as you must always have some machine
on the network running Squeezecenter - in this respect SlimDevices are
different from, say SONOS.

regards,

Giacomo

--