HectorHughMunro;351017 Wrote:
> Surely there are opportunities to do this with Squeezecentre when touch
> screen PCs and EEEpcs  come out (which seems to be imminent).
>
> Re; previous comments; I prefer having outboard power supplies.
> Something like a Duet with a decent screen might be interesting to me
> but I'd rather have a bit more speed on the Duet Handset and an edition
> of Squeezecentre which uses less memory.
SqueezeCenter uses what memory it needs. It has a whole pile of things
to do as well as be the brains of the NMP. Remember that all the Slim
Devices are just dumb interface units. An interface to display
information, receiver and pass through remote commands, and to connect
the music feed to your stereo. The real power is SqueezeCenter and
SqueezeNetwork.
HectorHughMunro;351017 Wrote:
> Also, I'd like to have something like a Duet that can be used as a
> standalone unit with a USB drive full of music without the PC.
We already have those. There're called an iPod or portable MP3 player.
If Microsoft can't make headway in that market with the Zune, why would
Logitech waste money on it? Also locally (in your network's range), the
Controller is this device with a USB drive access as large as you can
afford! Just add SC 7.3 and a pair of headphones (no water please).
HectorHughMunro;351017 Wrote:

> It's useful to have 'what we want' threads from time to time.
Agreed, very useful when it sparks new or different ideas. But a little
tiring when its all about devices that already exist and can hardly be
improved on. Or totally nuts when somebody wants a one off unit that is
just perfect for their one unique situation.

Keep those ideas coming because it could just make somebody think of
another device that hasn't been produced yet which will be of benefit
to all.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
'Last.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/mephone)
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
Mobile: SB3, Audioengine A5