A couple of notes here:

1.  The core of the SqueezeCenter software is licensed under the GPL.
Some components that are packaged with it are not (installers, some
graphics, fonts, etc...), so redistributing a version of SqueezeCenter
that uses these would require some kind of license with Logitech.

2. The protocols are completely open and folks are welcome to build
clients to connect to SqueezeCenter.

3. The firmware in the Squeezebox
1/2/3/Classic/Boom/Receiver/Transporter is closed source, alas, due to
some restrictions from the manufacturer of our CPU chip.

4. The software running on the Squeezebox Controller and SqueezePlay is
open and licensed under the Logitech Public Source License, which has
some restrictions on redistribution but is available for licensing.

5. We welcome OEMs and other partners who want to license hardware or
software.  PM me if you are interested!

--
dean