andynormancx;355227 Wrote:
> Well written iPhone apps start up in under a second. The iPhone
> reconnects to wifi faster than the Controller does. There is also no
> issue with the iPhone having to wake up from suspend, like the
> Controller has to when it has been idle for more than an hour.
>
> At the same time the iPhone's battery life is better, while giving near
> instant wifi reconnection and app startup.
>
> A well written iPhone app is going to equal or beat the Controller in
> most areas:
>
> - it should be just as responsive
> - the UI has the potential to be easier to use (the flick to scroll
> approach to navigating lists on the iPhone works better than the
> Controller's wheel and the iPhone can also have its handy "jump to the
> initial letter" navigation)
> - text entry will be far, far faster
> - it reconnects to the network faster
> - it never has to wake from suspend
> - its battery life is better
>
> Where the iPhone will lose out is the lack of hardware buttons for
> volume and playback control. Picking up the Controller to adjust the
> volume or pause will be a fair bit quicker than the iPhone app,
> assuming the Controller isn't suspended of course.
>
> I guess I should say that I own an iPhone 3G and a Controller. They are
> both great devices in their own ways. I could probably live without the
> Controller, I find it hard to see how I lived before the iPhone, sad eh
> ? ;)

I'm really taken by the devotion of iPhone users. This is a compliment.
I guess my issue with the "iPhone" or any cell phone as a remote is that
I get too many calls and emails. Even after hours. After I get home from
work I put my phone on its charger and don't want to go near it for fear
that I might end up doing some more work. Or with the current
downsizing trend I don't want to get the news that I'm one of the lucky
ones selected for an extended vacation. I want to be left alone while
I'm at home listening to my SqueezeBox. In my case, I see the iTouch as
a better option for the Sonos solution. I agree about the touchscreen
interface of the iPhone/iTouch... it leaves a lot to be desired as I
compare with a traditional remotes with physical buttons. Call me old
fashion, but I want buttons in my remote. As I said before, for me
listening to music is more of a "passive" activity than an
"interactive" one. I want to hold a beer (an IPA preferably) on one
hand and the remote on the other and without looking at the remote
lower/raise the volume or skip to the next song. I am not one of those
folks that can handle a touchscreen with one hand without looking at
it. Having to use two hands to use my remote forces me to put down my
beer. That's a no, no... after a long day. I have played with the
Phillips Pronto and with the not too popular Harmony 1000. These had
ergonomically efficient "physical" buttons for certain frequently used
functions. I don't see these in the iPhone/iTouch. Not having at least
a comfortable volume up/down button would drive me up a wall.
Touchscreens are the trend, but I'm afraid that it also has its
limitations as a remote. A combination of ergonomically placed buttons
and a touchscreen would be best.  Seeing all these iPhones  I'm
thinking I need to go to touchscreen school.

--
tamanaco