To answer one of your original queries, streaming high bitrate music
isn't quite the same as sending and receiving information via the
wireless connection on a laptop.  Your laptop is much more forgiving of
dropped packets and doesn't need the same high quality, consistent
signal to get short bursts of information (like email, web pages or
internet radio).

The easiest thing that you can do to improve the consistentcy of your
wireless connection is to change the channel on your router to the one
with the least interference - although if you've downloaded
Netstumbler, perhaps you've already tried this.  Changing channels to a
non-overlapping channel with any other nearby may slightly improve your
signal strength, but what it should also do is improve the quality and
consistency of the signal.

I use a Netgear router without too many problems - it's an Rangemax
DG834N and gives me good coverage over a three storey house.  That
said, I don't think the range is that special and I find the router
interface isn't that friendly if you want to do anything slightly
non-standard (like put a single computer into a DMZ for example).
Prefered my old Belkin router for that kind of thing.

--
Siduhe

Who am I on 'LAST.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/siduhe)?
"-Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah,
it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho...-" (c) 'ModelCitizen'
(http://www.last.fm/user/Modelcitizen)