results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55106
Question: Which DAC do you prefer?

- SBR's Wolfson's WM8501
- SB3's Burr-Brown PCM1748E

I have compared the 2 in the bedroom only, which is of course just
mostly background music type of venue. And the other limiting factor is
that in the bedroom I have the system simply connected to Acoustic
Energy's Aego M
http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Product_range/Aego_series/Aego_M.asp

I too found that the valume levels are markedly different. Other than
that I think that in that environment they perform identically. Meaning
they system sounds great for a bedroom system. The reason why the SB3
rules now in the bedroom over the Duet is because my wife prefers the
interface of the SB3 - it is much easier to set the sleep function with
the older remote, a big advantage for a bedroom system. She does not
like the whell based navigation at all, and it is frustrating for large
collections. A touch screen is a must for the next device, I'd say. In
fact, I think a combination of the SB3 with one of the high end
Logitech remotes is the way forward. But I am digressing. In a
nutshell, no I do not hear a difference, but in my main system I always
stayed with my original SB3 connected to a DAC - why mess with a great
thing? I am sure that given my reliance on optical to the DAC I would
not hear a difference between the SB3 and the SBR, either. :-)

I do wonder if the choice for the new DAC was an improvement or a cost
cutting measure, though. Any thoughts on that?

--
pablolie

...pablo
Server: 3.3 GHz Intel E8600 Core 2 Duo Vista Ultimate 64
Sources: SB3 (4), SB Boom (2), Duet, Accuphase DP65v
Amplification: Accuphase E306v
Loudspeakers: Tuned and self-built Ceeroy 3 way
Headphones: Grado SR-1