results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=55106
Question: Which DAC do you prefer?

- SBR's Wolfson's WM8501
- SB3's Burr-Brown PCM1748E

autopilot;360715 Wrote:
> There was quite a lot of discussion about this at one stage, so when i
> first received my beta SBr, i hooked it up to the same medium end AMP
> as my SB3 and did about half a day's worth of A-B testing. TBH, while
> there are slight differences in characteristics, they are so similar
> overall i can't say i prefer either really. I would like to have voted
> "No preference" However if held at gun point, i would probably blurt
> out "SBr". I say this because it found it to be a touch brighter, and i
> like the sound. The SB3 was a bit warmer, and i think most people will
> prefer it. I guess its also down to the music you like. I'm also quite
> prepared to accept my ears/brain where biased because i'm so used to
> the SB3's sound. At this level, there is not much in it.

I tend to agree with your assessment, but to be honest I still haven't
had the time to really AB them.  Kinda why I was asking others
opinions.  The whole reason I was curious is because I replaced my
"main" system SB with the SB3 and relegated the SBR to "roaming" duty.
Then one day I got to wondering if I had done the right thing since my
"main" system is the best one in the house.  I AB'd them a bit, but
because of something I added to my set up, it's very hard to get behind
my equipment to switch back and forth.

I do like warmth and that's what I htought the SB3 was better at.

Thanks for putting your opinion out there.

Howard

--
Howard Passman

.....and still waiting for extra cradles..