mortslim wrote:
> bpa;382500 Wrote:
>
>> If an Ipod is plugged into USB port
>>

> I am envisioning a stand-alone product.  There are many situations
> where I don't want my computer on while listening to music (save energy
> to save the planet).  I assume that the proposed iPod server would
> consume far less energy as a "slim" client.
>
> In addition, having the embedded SqueezeCenter include the WaveInput
> plugin should enable playing radio streams from the iPhone/iPod Touch
> as well.  I see that at the moment there are some internet radio
> services available to these Apple devices which are not currently
> available on the Squeezebox:  Wolfgang's Concert Vault, Finetune,
> Ourstage, and Deezer (only available in Europe on the Squeezebox).   It
> would be great to have these services connected to any Squeezebox on the
> local network as well.
>
> Finally, maybe add a usb port to the proposed iPod server in case you
> want to add a usb hard drive instead of an iPod.

I think the biggest problem with this is that the SC software is written
in Perl and requires a whole OS (and DBMS) underneath
it, which makes the hardware requirements rather large. OTOH, there's
lots of fairly powerful mini-stuff available judging the netbook craze.
It could be done, but it probably wouldn't be cheap.

Regards,
Peter