I've just started using an old (Mark 1) Linksys WRT54GS, which had been
sitting unused in a cupboard, in place of a Billion modem / router
which has been giving me some wireless problems. I also looked at the
Tomato / DD-WRT choice and saw some of the instability comments, but
DD-WRT has a couple of features I really wanted and it's been 100%
stable for me.

In particular with DD-WRT you can assign the WAN port as a 5th LAN port
(useful for me as I'm still using the Billion as a modem / Gateway /
Firewall) and the WiFi configuration seems more flexible.

Signal strength and consistency is massively better than the Billion.
I'd also read about the heat / early failure problems if you turn up
the power too much, so I've disabled all features I'm not using and set
the Wireless power to a level where I get good coverage throughout the
house but no more  - a setting of "75" in my case, which gives a signal
strength reading of 65% on my most distant WiFi Squeezebox and perfect
FLAC streaming. Net of this is that I'm very happy with DD-WRT and
would recommend it to anyone.

Brgds
Phil

--